Chads Theatre was founded just after the First World War as Cheadle Hulme Amateur Dramatic Society, performing in different venues in the Cheadle Hulme area. In October 1959 the members opened their own premises and have continued to develop the theatre ever since, providing a first class venue for its members and patrons. In 1982 the name officially changed to Chads Theatre Company.
Through the efforts of the members, Chads is self-sufficient with income coming from subscriptions, the staging of plays, costume hire, theatre hire, bar sales and fund-raising efforts. The company is run by an executive committee and supporting committees of members that cover all aspects of Chads Theatre’s productions and development.
The theatre presents seven main stage plays, one of which is the Youth Group production and two studio plays per Season as well as occasional one act plays for festival.